Choose Sport

  • All
  • M
  • W
No Events

NWC Spring Classic Next for PLU Men's Golf Team

Tim Livermore
Tim Livermore

NWC SPRING CLASSIC: Pacific Lutheran golfers will join Northwest Conference teams this coming weekend for the NWC Spring Classic at Wildhorse Golf Course in Mission, Ore. Mission is located several miles east of Pendleton in northeastern Oregon. The men will play a par-72 layout set at 6,902 yards.

TEE TIMES: The two-day, 36-hole tournaments get underway Saturday with the men teeing off at about 10:30 a.m. They will follow the NWC women's teams onto the course. Sunday's closing round has the men starting at 9:30 a.m., followed by the women at 11:30 a.m.

ABOUT THE SPRING CLASSIC: The NWC Spring Classic counts for 25 percent of the scoring in a season-long point system used to determine the women's and men's conference champions.  The George Fox women and Puget Sound men won last October's NWC Fall Classic tournaments, which also count for 25 percent of the overall championship scoring. Once this weekend's tournaments are in the books, teams will regroup and head to the Tri-Cities in late April for the two-day NWC Championships. Results from those tournaments count for the final 50 percent of the scoring used to determine the final standings and team titles. The women's and men's team champions earn the NWC's automatic berths in their respective national tournaments.

RECENT PLU RESULTS: Freshman Tim Livermore continued his solid spring play when he finished in an 11th-place tie at the TLU Intercollegiate Invitational men's golf tournament held March 12-13 at Vaaler Creek Golf Club in Blanco, Texas. Livermore, PLU's best golfer durign the spring season, matched shot consecutive 75s for a 150, five strokes off the pace. After shooting a 316 on the first day, the Lutes had a 317 today for a 36-hole total of 633, good for 10th place. Rounding out the PLU scoring were Dustin Hegge (84-73) 157, Daron Casey (74-89) 163, Sam Hodge (84-83) 167, and Scott Zhang (89-84) 173.

HEGGE WON FALL CLASSIC: Lutes sophomore Dustin Hegge fired an even-par 144 over 36 holes to win medalist honors at the NWC Fall Classic played on Oct. 22-23 at Heron Lakes Golf Club in Portland, Ore. Hegge became the first Pacific Lutheran golfer to win one of the Northwest Conference's three "major" tournaments - NWC Fall Classic, NWC Spring Classic, NWC Championships - since Chris Packard won the 2007 NWC Fall Classic. In addition, the tournament title was the second of the fall season for Hegge, who also medaled at the Whitworth Invitational.

FALL CLASSIC RESULTS: Puget Sound won its second consecutive NWC Fall Classic, finishing with a 593 (288-305), 17 over par. Linfield was second with a 606 (298-308), followed by Whitman 612 (315-297), Whitworth 614 (312-302), Pacific Lutheran 617 (306-311), George Fox 633 (322-311), Willamette 641 (327-314) and Pacific 643 (317-326). Lewis & Clark had an incomplete team. In addition to Hegge's 144 to win medalist honors, PLU senior Daron Casey ended up with a 151 and a tie for eighth place. Other PLU scores were Auston Hilkin 163 (80-83), Alex Liljestrom 165 (85-80) and Tim Livermore 165 (79-86).

CURRENT NWC STANDINGS: Based on the Fall Classic results, Puget Sound has 8 points, followed by Linfield 7, Whitman 6, Whitworth 5, PLU 4, George Fox 3, Willamette 2, Pacific 1, and Lewis & Clark 0.

2011 SPRING CLASSIC RESULTS: Linfield fired rounds of 322 and 303 for a 36-hole total of 625 on its way to the 2011 NWC Spring Classic men's title. The event was hosted by PLU and held at at The Links at Hawks Prairie. Puget Sound finished second with 634, followed by Pacific 636, Whitworth 637, Whitman 662, Pacific Lutheran 671, George Fox 697, and Willamette 753. Lewis & Clark had an incomplete team score. Pacific's Max Bonk earned medalist honors, shooting a three-over-par 147 on the 6,732-yard men's course.

- PLU -